ICA Awards Program
ICA annually acknowledges the outstanding service and dedication of professional counselors across the spectrum of specialties in which counselors work. The awards are announced at ICA's Annual Conference, but you can nominate people at any time throughout the year.
The award categories (described below) have been designed to recognize counselors who continue to be held in the highest regard by their peers and their community. Those special colleagues need your nomination to be considered for an ICA Award.
Please read through the award descriptions below. Note that any supporting documentation must accompany the Nomination Form in the same envelope.
Want the printable ICA Awards Nomination Form (PDF file)? ICA Award Nomination Form
If you have questions, direct them to our Executive Director, Send Email .
The nomination deadline for the 2020 ICA Awards is November 1, 2020.
- Barbara Walters Cole Distinguished Counselor Award — This award is given in memory of Barbara Walters Cole, an ICA member who was a distinctive practitioner in the schools of Indiana.
- Distinguished Counselor Supervisor Award — This award is given to a counseling supervisor with evidence of contributions to the profession in the form of supervision and consultation.
- Distinguished Counselor Educator Award — The recipient of this award will be a counselor educator who has evidenced contributions to the growth of the profession, of innovative/creative practice in counselor education, involvement with student development and growth, scholarly activity, and national recognition.
- Recognition of Service Award — This award is awarded to persons or organizations with evidence of service or contribution to ICA or the profession that is worthy of recognition.
- Irene Cutter Distinguished Service Award — This award, presented in memory of the long-time Secretary of ICA, will be given to a professional counselor or administrator in recognition of outstanding service in a leadership position in the governance of ICA.
- Joe Hollis and Eldon Ruff Memorial Award— These awards are given to recognize graduate students in counselor training who exemplify the characteristics of a professional.
- Mental Health Counselor of the Year — This award goes to the Mental Health Counselor whose efforts on behalf of clients, or their advancement of the counseling profession, is deemed most exemplary.