Emerging Leaders Institute
The Indiana Counseling Association is pleased to announce its first annual Emerging Leaders Institute, scheduled for Saturday, May 06, 2017. In an effort to demonstrate a commitment to the leadership and professional development of ICA members, along with the advancement of our state association and the counseling profession as a whole, ICA will host an annual leadership institute. The leadership institute will provide members interested in being leaders in ICA and the profession with leadership skills and competency development. Members who participate in the institute will have diverse opportunities to actively participate in ICA Board meetings, serve on a committee, engage in projects of interest, receive mentorship, build professional networks, and gain exposure to the responsibilities associated with fulfilling elected leadership positions.
The Emerging Leaders Institute will engage attendees in the following areas:
- ICA History, Mission, & Organization
- Leadership Development
- Panel Discussion of Current Mental Health Leaders
- Legislative Advocacy
- Social Advocacy
The institute is open to all ICA members and non-member counseling students and professionals.
Saturday, May 06, 2017
Columbus Learning Center, 4555 Central Ave, Columbus, IN 47203
Registration Fee: $50 (including lunch + 7.0 CEUs)
The location of the Emerging Leaders Institute is 6 miles from The Clarion Hotel and Conference. Special hotel rates for the Annual Conference are available on a limited basis.
ICA created the program to assist future leaders in developing skills and competencies that can advance the counseling profession and consumers of counseling services. Applicants who have demonstrated a willingness and capacity to provide leadership are sought. ICA is committed to investing in Emerging Leaders who will endure and prosper in their service to the profession and counseling consumers.
The ICA Emerging Leaders Institute is intended to provide participants with opportunities to:
- Develop their leadership skills
- Learn about the governance structure of ICA
- Become acquainted with individuals and groups involved in ICA’s activities and the counseling profession
- Complete special projects on behalf of ICA
- Develop personally and professionally as an Emerging Leader in the counseling profession
- Broaden their professional network through service to ICA
- Network with other counseling professionals and leaders
Emerging Leaders Scholarships
ICA is offering up to six Emerging Leader scholarship awards to attend the institute and participate in ICA leadership for the 2017-2018 year. Two awards will be provided for each ICA membership status: student, new professional, and professional. Recipients of the awards will partake in service to ICA during the 2017-2018 term (July, 2017-June, 2018). Recipients must be an ICA member at the time of application submission, and your status (i.e., student, new professional, or professional) should be based on your membership status as of July, 2017. New professionals must have graduated within two previous years to qualify for the program.
Applicants for the Emerging Leaders scholarships will exhibited exceptional leadership potential and willingness to serve ICA for the betterment of the counseling profession and the Indiana consumers of counseling services. Applications are to be submitted to Cheryl B. Warner, President, email@example.com. Members of the ICA Board will review applications and select the Emerging Leaders recipients. The deadline for receiving applications is April 01, 2017. If you have questions about the application, please contact Dale Wayman, Executive Director, (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cheryl Warner.
As an ICA Emerging Leader, you will
- Receive free registration for the Emerging Leaders Institute
- Be featured in ICA newsletter
- Receive free registration for the 2017 ICA Annual Conference
- Be recognized at ICA Annual Conference.
As an ICA Emerging Leader, you are expected to
- Providing volunteer service to an ICA committee or project during the 2017-2018 (July 1, 2017-June 30, 2018)
- Attend the ICA Annual Conference
- Attend the ICA Emerging Leaders Institute
- Attend ICA Board meetings
- Commit to providing service to ICA
- Provide feedback of your experience to the ICA Board by the end June, 2018
Criteria for Selection as an ICA Emerging Leaders
ICA Emerging Leaders must meet the following prerequisites:
- Be a current and active ICA member
- Graduate members must be enrolled in a graduate counseling program (master’s or doctoral),
- New Professional members must be in the early years of professional development (no more than two years since earning their last graduate counseling degree)
Nominees for the Emerging Leader* positions will be evaluated and selected based on the following additional criteria:
- A letter or goal statement describing your
- Leadership skills and experiences,
- Why you want to be an ICA Emerging Leader, and
- Area(s) of interest related to ICA’s organization
- Enthusiasm for, and an ability to carry out the Emerging Leaders experience as indicated by the nominee’s goals statement and letters of recommendation.
- Willingness to commit to volunteering for to a ICA committee, project, or task for the 2017-2018 year
- Leadership Potential
- Ability and willingness to attend the 2017 ICA Annual Conference and Emerging Leaders Institute
*Current ICA committee members are not eligible to apply for the scholarships.
Important Dates and Timeline:
March 15, 2017:
Applications Due (all required materials must be received by this date)
April 01, 2017:
Notification of Emerging Leaders recipients
May 05, 2017
ICA Annual Conference
May 06, 2017
Emerging Leaders Institute
Emerging Leaders Scholarship Application
ICA is offering up to six Emerging Leader scholarship awards to attend the institute and participate in ICA leadership for the 2017-2018 year. See program description for information. Two awards will be provided for each ICA membership status: Student, New Professional, and Professional.
Directions: Please complete and return the form along with your statement to email@example.com no later than April 01, 2017. In the email subject line indicate: ICA Emerging Leader Application
Contact Phone Number:
Are you an ICA member?: _____Yes _____No (Please submit membership application)
Specify which scholarship you are applying for:
______ Student (provide below information)
Master’s or Doctoral Program: __________________
______ New Professional (must have graduated within two previous years to qualify for the program)
Graduation Date ____________________ Degree _________________________
Current university or agency affiliation: _________________________________
Job Title: _________________________________________________________
Current university or agency affiliation:__________________________________
Please include a statement (750 words or less) of how the ICA Emerging Leaders Program will assist you in achieving your professional and leadership goals. Be sure to include specific interest areas within ICA where you would like to gain experience, prior service or leadership experiences.
Please indicate your area(s) of interest in ICA:
_____Association Goverance _____Legislative Affairs
_____Membership _____Annual Conference
_____Multicultural/Diversity _____Counselor Education & Supervision
_____Student/Campus Representation _____IN Professional Counselors Foundation
_____Mental Health Counseling _____Other____________________________